The 10 Best Woks to Buy in 2020 – Picked by Experts
Once you start exploring the kitchen and learn cooking ethics, you come across the need and use of wok in no time.
This is used as enthusiastically as a pan is used but there are some differences, you may learn with the course of time.
If you are planning to have a wok soon, you are in the right place.
Here you can learn many things on the topic and who knows you may end up picking the right wok for you.
Things to Consider before buying a Wok
So you must be out to get the new wok either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Before that, you should know what to look for and how to look that the shopkeeper is also somehow moved to pass you the comment, ”you are a great witty buyer”.
1- Preferable Materials for Wok:
The first hurdle in deciding for the new cookware is the material. Sometimes you may end up thinking from days to months but still not settle on a definite conclusion about the material because you don’t know the pros and cons of each one. The following are the four most liked materials for wok, by the consumers and the reasons are also quoted alongside. Have an attentive read below.
- Stainless Steel: Stainless steel woks are as popular as stainless steel pans. Regardless of the fact that stainless steel is dear to us not only traditionally, but its resilience against temperature and temperament is ideal too. It may take a minute or two more than other cookware material but once it catches the flames up, you will see it rounding up all the corners of the wok. The stainless steel wok, as the construction speaks for it, is supposed to be heavy but at the same time, this is a token of longevity. Moving on, there is necessarily no concept of seasoning a stainless steel wok until and unless it is mentioned by the company. Some other materials usually contribute to the manufacturing that can make it seasonable but also improve other areas of the performance. Running out of time, you can put it in the dishwasher also.
- Nonstick: These woks should be the go-to for the beginners because of the application or the understanding to use is so simple. All the way away from seasoning, you must know how easy is to clean nonstick cookware than any other cookware material in the kitchen. Since wok may involve a high temperature of heating, as most of the recipes require the wok-like cookware and extreme heat as well, nonstick wok may not be a good choice then. You know, we have been advised to secure the nonstick cookwares from too high temperatures for a reason, the surface lay leach. Your idea of buying a wok may suffer in this case because nonstick doesn’t sit right with the potential purpose of using a wok.
- Cast Iron: Another famous name in the world of woks, people love using it because it is so good at retaining the heat for longer periods of time. Though for the first some minutes, you may not see the heat doing any good to the surface but eventually, the heat settle down to put in the performance. This material is sticky by nature and to overcome this aspect, we season it. These woks tend to be heavyweight, decide well of you can carry it for daily use. You can make it last in length if you are conscious of its care. After a certain period of constant use, it adapts a nonstick nature naturally.
- Carbon Steel: Carbon steel is also a heavy material but unlike cast iron, it is great in heating up faster which means the heat is distributed evenly. Been used for years, the woks are made traditionally in carbon steel and thus liked too. No matter how modern our living approaches may get, we still have a soft corner for traditional everyday varieties. It requires a thoughtful attention to the cleaning and just as cast iron, the chances of it shaping into nonstick with time are higher. You need to be consistent in its seasoning to maintain the power of the wok and a unique taste in the recipes.
2- Shape of the Wok
The natural shape that a wok is bound to have is round, by birth actually. This is what makes a clear difference between a wok and a pan, the wok is somewhat more deep and rounded than pan. Similarly, this freestyle trait of a wok dispenses you the exposure to cook in bulk and as long as you want. The wok is also available in the flat bottom but it has a little surface for big batches.
3- Size of the Wok
From 10 inches, 12 inches, 14 inches, to 16 inches, a wok can be found easily according to the need of your family. If your family is small, go for a 10 inches wok and if too large, the 16 inches wok must be opt. Otherwise, the 12 and 14 inches wok can do well in both the places.
4- Lid with the Wok
Most of the woks come forward with its lid. However, you may find some traditionally constructed woks without suitable lids too but it happens infrequently. You may buy a separate one from some good store, as a stopgap. In case you need it on definite purposes, opt the brand that put the lid already in the box without you asking for it. A good lid is the glass lid, known to seal in the moisture of the ingredients for as a perfect taste booster. For heavy cooking sessions, the glass lids are considered ideal.
5- Handles of the Wok
Cooking on wok is not easy because q chef will opt for it when something heavy or bigger in quantity is to be cooked. This means you are going to use it for so many hours which will obviously include a lot of movement in shaking and simply in changing the positions. As wok can bear high temperature too, not too but little more than what you are used to employing your regular pan for, the handles may give you a hard time if these are not stay-cool already. The wok will have two handles unlike the frying pan so both should be featured as cool touch. Don’t forget to check this property in particular.
6- Weight of the Wok
Not sure what kind of food you and your family love eating daily but if you are going to use wok the most, check if you can bear its weight normally. Well, this is necessary because the process of cooking should be as simple and quick as possible. In case the wok comes out to be heavier than what you are comfortable with, it is just going to add time to the procedure. If you happen to own an inherited wok from your mother or mother in law, you will be surprised to acknowledge its heavyweight besides superb performance and that’s how the conventional articles used to be.
7- Accessories in the Box
Some newer wok models require additional accessories to work on point and well, it may be trouble using it of you decide to skip the accessories. Before buying, get to know what are you buying and how it is going to perform in the long run. Particularly the spatulas, some woks have specially made spatulas to work with.
properly. This is not justified in any case. Not at all. Always make a little time for cleaning after cooking and be the boss of your cookware.
8- Dishwasher safe
They are going to tell you it’s dishwasher safe but you got to believe your own skills, better wash it on your own. At first, you spend a bulky amount on the product and then you handover it to the machine to clean it properly. This is not justified in any case. Not at all. Always make a little time for cleaning after cooking and be the boss of your cookware.
9- Oven Safety
In the contemporary era, when we are more familiar with the idea of baking than that of cooking, our all the pieces of cookware should stand equal to any kind of temperature. Oven be the one, the wok must have above 400 degrees of safety in minimum.
Now the price of wok varies big time. There are also the easy to access cheap woks, light in weight and light in performance too. You would be happy to have those at your place just for a few weeks and even less. The good wok is usually expensive and heavy in weight, the weight speaks for the efforts that the experts have made while construction and therefore, you have to believe this fact every day for the rest of the time you are going to use it. However, try to keep your budget for wok around $50 at least.
As great the warranty, the greater is the wok, quite obvious.
Though some of the woks we have chosen below also have a lifetime warranty and this indicates the sincerity of the brand. Try to have a maximum warranty limit so you are free from the fear of the outcome of your purchase.
Top 10 Woks available to buy this Season
|Cooks Standard NC-00233 Stainless Steel Wok with Dome Lid, 13-Inches||Induction top compatible, Multi-element core for superior heat control, Airflow technology to maintain cool touch on handles, Secure fitting dome lid to secure moisture and nutrients, Dishwasher safe, Oven safe up to 500 degrees F, etc.|
|Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Flat-Bottom Wok, 10-Inches||Heavy-gauge aluminum construction, Dishwasher safe, Tri-ply nonstick coating, Long and brushed stainless steel handles, Oven safe, Lifetime warranty, etc.|
|All-Clad 4414 Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded 5-Quart Wok, 14 inches||Sloped sides, Polished cooking surface, 3-ply bonded construction, Contoured stainless steel handles, Oven and broiler safe up to 600 degrees F, Made in the USA, etc.|
|Lodge P14W3 Pro-Logic Cast Iron Wok, 14-inches||Induction compatible, Superior heat retention, Flattened bottom, Made in the USA, 100 % cast iron construction, Durable, etc.|
|Joyce Chen 22-0040, Pro Chef Flat Bottom Wok with Excalibur Non-stick coating, 14-Inches||Long stay-cool phenolic handle, Easy to use, Quick cleanup, Even heat distribution, 25-years warranty on the nonstick coating, etc.|
|T-fal A80789 Specialty Nonstick Jumbo Wok Cookware, 14-Inches||Aluminum construction reinforces fast heat distribution, Easy to clean, Lifetime limited warranty, Dishwasher safe, Comfort grip handles, etc.|
|Joyce Chen 21-9977, Classic Series Nonstick Wok, 14-Inches||Induction compatible, Simple to use, Fast heat distribution, Stay cool helper handles, Nonstick coating, etc.|
|HexClad Wok, Hybrid Stainless/Nonstick Inside and Outside Cookware, 12 inches||Dishwasher Safe, Stay-Cool Handle, Induction Ready, Metal Utensil Safe, Triple-layer stainless steel construction, Patent nonstick coating, etc.|
|Anolon 82031 Advanced Hard Anodized Nonstick All Purpose Pan with Lid - 12 Inches||Hard anodized construction, Oven safe up to 400 degrees F, Easy to grasp handles, Lifetime warranty, Even heat distribution, Quick cleanup, etc.|
|Le Creuset LS2508-3267S Signature Enameled Cast Iron Wok, 5-Quart||Secure fit glass lid, Rapid heat transfer throughout the surface, Wide loop handles, Lifetime Warranty, Induction compatible, Flat base, etc.|
What a Wok is supposed to cook?
Broadly, a wok can braise, sauté, sear, and fry the recipes as you want.
Too majorly, it is used to prepare sausages because the sausages demand more time to create the consistency and the taste and you can actually put it on the back burner on high flame and forget.
Therefore, if your family likes to have fried vegetables too often, you need the help of a wok to fry veggies and meat too, in big batches.
Other than that, it may prove itself to be handy in so many other recipes and you can figure it out while working in the kitchen someday.
Don’t delay to buy one if your kitchen lacks it, a wok is the essence of the kitchen and the needed piece of the cookware set.
How to use a Wok in a good way?
Not all people use wok every day in their kitchen for cooking and therefore, not all are well aware of the right techniques to handle this type of cookware. If you are one of them, learn a few from us here.
- If your wok belongs to the seasoning category, follow the punctuality chart of the seasoning practice or else forget it’s optimal performance in the field.
- While seasoning, make use of good oils like canola oil, olive oil, and grape-seed oil.
- Don’t add a lot of ingredients. Well, I understand, sometimes you would like to cook a lot but still, you need to take into account the fact that you don’t have to overload the wok with the ingredients. The shape of the wok is round which means, if you add extra, you will have a hard time mixing.
- Before cooking, ready your ingredients and align them in place so you don’t have to run for them later.
- Let it cool down completely before you wash it.
As a fun fact, the wok is beloved kitchenware of the Asian people and their everyday cooking comprises wok for sure. This is all for today.