Some recipes result in a mess for our pots and pans. Sometimes, the burnt pan can be due to our error, i.e., if we set the burner at too high temperature and roast whatever is in the pan. Nevertheless, we all have to deal with the burnt pan on a frequent basis. But the question is how to clean burnt pans or which method is the best to make your cookware like a new one again. With that in mind, we came up with these methods that can do the job in the quickest and most appropriate way.
Table of Contents
How we tested these methods
We used the same old pan and the same burnt foodstuff (an egg) during our testing. We started by dropping an egg into a hot pan and allowed it to burn in an open kitchen. Then after the pan was cool down, we started our testing.
How to Clean Burnt Pan using Household Items
So, without further ado, let’s dive into the burnt pans and check out which is the best way to clean burnt pans.
1. Clean Burnt Pan using Water, Vinegar, and Baking Soda
This method is suitable if your pan has severe burn marks. However, in that condition, you will have to increase the quantity of all these ingredients. During testing, we tried this method for severely burnt pan, and it worked flawlessly.
Steps to follow:
- Take one cup of plain water and one cup of vinegar. Pour both these into the pan and boil it.
- Then switch off the heat, and pour three tablespoons of baking soda into the pan.
- Next, remove the liquid and wash the pan with a scouring pad.
- If you see any stuck on pieces, you can more baking soda and water and then rewash the pan with a scouring pad.
- Immediately after washing the pan, you will see a new and shiny pan free of burnt mess.
2. Clean a Burnt pan with Salt
You can also clean the burn pan by using salt. For this method, you will need 750g of table salt. The technique works best for all types of cooking pans that have moderate burn marks on the surface.
Steps to follow:
- Pour a generous quantity of salt into the middle of your burnt pan.
- Now, take a wet sponge and work the salt onto the affected parts of the pan.
- You can repeat the same process if needed.
There is another handy hack to clean burnt pans by using salt:
- Take a large size potato, and cut it in half.
- Now, sprinkle the salt on the cut side and rub it onto the affected areas.
- Soon you will see that your burnt pan is gleaming like a new one.
Read more: Best Carbon Steel Pans
3. How to get Burnt food off the Pan
To get the burnt food off your pan’s surface, we recommend these two as we found them simple and highly effective.
Soap and water method
- Fill your pan with boiling hot and soapy water.
- Let the pan soak for at least one hour or more (it depends on the pan’s condition).
- Now, spill all the water from the pan and wash it properly.
- Repeat the process if your pan has very stubborn burnt food scraps.
The Baking Soda Method
- Pour baking soda on top of the burnt food scraps of your pan.
- Now, drop a few tablespoons of lukewarm water and leave the pan overnight.
- Then scrub the pan thoroughly the next morning.
- You will see all the food residue will come off the pan quite easily.
4. How to Clean the outside Bottom of a Burnt Pan
To clean the outside bottom of a burnt pan, nothing is more effective than baking soda. Here is how you can use this common household ingredient to get rid of burnt marks from your pan’s bottom side.
- First, make a paste by using three parts of baking soda and one part of water.
- Then allow the paste to sit on the bottom side of the pan for at least 15 minutes.
- Now, start scrubbing the pan with a non-abrasive sponge.
- In some cases, you might have to use elbow grease.
5. How to Clean Burnt pan with a Dryer Sheet
This is another effective method to remove all the burnt marks from your pan’s surface. However, the method is more time consuming than the methods mentioned above. But it is highly effective. Here is how you do it:
Steps to follow:
- Add a few drops of dish soap and a cup of hot water into the burnt pan.
- Now, immerse a dryer sheet into the mixture and allow it to rest for about 50 minutes to an hour.
- After about an hour, remove the dryer sheet from the water mixture and wash the pan with a non-abrasive scouring pad and dish soap. And you are good to go!
6. How to get Burnt Smell out of the House
No one likes that annoying burnt smell in the kitchen or house. So, it becomes vital to remove and eliminate that irritating smell from our place. For this purpose, follow the methods and procedure mentioned below.
Eliminate the Source
When trying to get rid of a burnt smell, most people overlook the source. Just throwing the burnt food items into your household waste will allow the smell to linger around the place. Instead, put all the burnt items in a plastic bag and place the plastic bag in your outside trash bin. Similarly, if you have burnt foodstuff in your cookware, ensure to wash them timely and thoroughly.
Without proper and consistent air-circulation, you cannot eliminate the burnt smell. Opening all windows in your kitchen will allow the fresh air to neutralize the odor and overall environment.
You can also turn on the kitchen or exhaust fans to prevent stale air accumulation in your kitchen. If you have a portable electric fan in your kitchen, place it near an open window to get rid of the burnt smell.
While a burnt smell is annoying and unpleasant, but entering into a room filled with a fresh lemon scent is energizing.
So, take a pan filled with 1 ½ cups of water along with few sliced lemons and boil both these spices. Now, allow it to steep for at least 20 minutes so that scent can neutralize the air.