And while baking, the most suffered component is oven racks, and later when cleaning them can be tough and time-consuming.
Perhaps, nothing can be worse than the dirty oven. It is among the terrible tasks during a cleaning process. The situation gets dreadful if oven racks are coated with stains, burned foods, and grease. The racks of the oven still caught some residue or grime if you don’t use them. So, they require timely cleaning because if you don’t, your efforts and time in cleaning them will be much more, and it won’t be easy to bring back to their original glossy condition.
So, now the question arises “how to clean your oven racks?” It is simple! Our experts have got you covered. Below you will find a thorough guide regarding the cleaning process. So, let’s move on:
What are Oven Racks?
Oven racks are the partition in the oven, which you can remove for various purposes, such as cleaning, and you can also move them as per the temperature requirements of your cooking/food.
The middle rack of the oven provides even distribution of the heat and air that helps in perfect baking.
The bottom oven rack is near to the heat source and suitable for those items that need high heat. The top oven rack is the farthest from the heat source and ideal for delicate baking/cooking items.
Table of Contents
- Best way to Clean Oven Racks
- How to Clean Oven Racks with Dryer Sheets
- How to Clean Oven Racks with Ammonia
- How to Clean Oven Racks with Foil
- Why You Should Clean Your Oven Racks
- What is the Easiest way to Clean Oven Racks
- Cleaning Oven Racks – FAQ’s
Best way to Clean Oven Racks
When you bake or cook in your oven, the oven racks are the first component that catches grease and grime. Here is the best way to clean your oven racks, and after using this cleaning technique, your racks will look brand new.
So, stay tuned and follow these simple steps to make your dirty oven racks like brand new ones, and we are sure that by the end of this post, you will get shiny and sparkling oven racks.
- First, place a clean towel at the bottom of the bathtub so that the surface of your bathtub can be protected from abrasions and marks caused by detergents and racks.
- Now, place oven racks on top of the towel in a tub.
- Then fill the bathtub with hot water and plug the drain. Hot water will break all the stains and grease on the racks.
- Let it fill until all racks are dipped in the water fully.
- Now, take a cup of any washing detergent in a jar and fill it with plain water.
- Then add this mixture in a bathtub. The soapy water and the detergent will work together to remove grease and stains from oven racks.
- Now let them in the water for up to 6 to 10 hours, or if your racks are too greasy, leave them overnight.
- After 6 to 10 hours or the next morning, drain the bathtub and take out the racks. You will find the clean oven racks this time.
- Dry them thoroughly before placing them back in an oven. And here is the best way to clean your oven racks!
Read more: How to Clean an Oven
How to Clean Oven Racks with Dryer Sheets
Here is another popular and straightforward method to clean the racks. Many people like to clean the oven racks with the help of dryer sheets. Here is how you do it:
- Take five to ten dryer sheets and them in a bathtub.
- Now take about half-cup of dishwashing detergent and put your dirty oven racks in it.
- Let them soak for five to ten hours (it depends on the conditions of your racks)
- The fabric softening extracts in dryer sheets will soften the food residue caked grime from racks.
- However, there some vital points to keep in mind while using this cleaning method:
- Dryer sheets contain ingredients that can be dangerous to your health. Second, dryer sheets are expensive, and no manufacturer recommends this method.
How to Clean Oven Racks with Ammonia
If your oven racks are extremely dirty and greasy, then you should go for this method. This ammonia and rubbish bag cleaning method will remove all the caked grime from the surface of your oven racks.
Wear household gloves and place the racks in a rubbish bag. Now, pour about a half cup of ammonia on the racks. Close the bags as tightly as you can and remove as much air as possible. Then, let the bags in a separate place, preferably outside your kitchen, for up to three hours. Now, wear the gloves again and take out the racks from the containers. Wash and clean them thoroughly with water and dry them before putting back in an oven.
How to Clean Oven Racks with Foil
Cleaning an oven rack with foil is a simple and one of the most effective methods. To do this, you will need a dishwasher tablet, a bathtub with water, and aluminum foil. The process is not too time-consuming, and you can complete it in about two hours. Follow these steps to clean your oven racks with foil:
- Take out oven racks and wrap them with aluminum foil.
- Now put them in a bathtub filled with hot water.
- Let them soak in hot water and a dishwasher tablet for two hours.
- After that, take the racks out of the water and unwrap them.
- Dry the racks and put clean oven racks back in your oven.
Why You Should Clean Your Oven Racks
Cleaning oven racks is not an exciting task. It can be lengthy, and most of us don’t really like scrubbing the racks. But it is essential to clean them frequently, and we all must do it for better health.
Every so often, after you cook or bake any food in the oven, burnt food, grease, and residue are left on the racks. It looks filthier, and more importantly, if you don’t clean it, you will be cooking in an unhealthy environment.
With these techniques, your racks will be cleaned and shining like a new rack. All the methods mentioned in this read require minimum efforts at your end. Lastly, cleaning oven racks is a task that we don’t like, but it is essential for the better health of you and your family.
Read more: Best Oven Cleaner in 2020
What is the Easiest way to Clean Oven Racks
Luckily, by using this method, you can perform the task in no time and with less hassle. So, allow us to present the easiest way to clean oven racks:
For this method, you will need a bathtub, dishwasher granules, old but clean towels, and sponges.
- In this easiest method, place the old and clean towels in your bathtub. You can also place sponges in the corners to protect the surface of your bathtub.
- Now, carefully put the racks above the towels and sponges.
- Fill the bathtub with normal water and pour a cup of dishwasher powder.
- Keep the racks in the water for a whole night.
- Take out the racks from the tub the next morning and wash them with plain water and sponge. If you still see any stains or caked grime on the racks, scrub it with a sponge.
- Dry the racks properly before using them.
Some Additional Tips to Remember:
If you want to use this method, there are some vital things to keep in mind:
If your oven racks have enamel finish, don’t apply too much force or pressure. Similarly, don’t scrub them too hard as it can damage the finishing. Use an old toothbrush or soft bristle brush to clean the racks.
You might like: How to Clean Cast Iron Skillet
Cleaning Oven Racks – FAQ’s
How to Clean Oven Racks with Baking Soda
Baking soda is an excellent oven rack cleaner. It’s affordable, won’t scratch the rack’s surface, and has excellent cleaning power.
Here’s how to clean oven racks by using baking soda:
- Fill the tub with hot water.
- Now, pour three cups of baking soda and mix it properly.
- Then, put the racks in water in such a way that they are fully covered in the water.
- Let the racks soak in the baking soda solution for about six to eight hours.
- After that, take the racks out and wipe them with a clean rag or sponge.
- Rinse and dry the racks before using the oven.
How to Clean Oven Racks in the Bathtub
If you are wondering how to clean the oven racks in a bathtub, well it’s simple:
First, fill the bathtub with hot boiling water and pour three cups of dishwashing soap or laundry detergent. Let the racks in the water overnight. You can also sprinkle the baking soda on the racks along with dishwashing soap and detergent.
Next morning, brush the oven racks with a clean towel to remove dirt and grease. To remove the baked grime, you can use an old toothbrush. Then, rinse and dry the racks before placing them in the oven.
How to Clean Oven Racks with Vinegar
Using vinegar and soda is one of the best ways to clean oven racks, and it is one of the most simplest as well. Here is how to perform this method:
Pour baking soda on the racks, then soak them in vinegar. You can use a large sink or bathtub for this purpose. The strong chemical reaction between these two ingredients will form bubbles and foam in water, and when the reaction is over, you can put the oven racks in the water. Let them soak for overnight. The next morning, scrub the oven racks with a dishcloth or old toothbrush.