We completely agree with you guys that cleaning an oven is not an easy task, and during the process, things get quite messy. But all of you will agree that the cleaning of oven is necessary; actually, the appropriate word will be ‘compulsory’.
An unclean oven looks horrible, and it is not safe for your health. Food particles stuck in the oven can catch fire and might affect the performance of your oven. When using a dirty oven for cooking, the processing time will be much longer than normal, and results will be poor.
So, to tackle all these issues and for the well-being of your family members, you must learn how to clean an oven properly.
Today, in this read, we will be discussing some of the best ways to clean an oven along with all the other details regarding the subject matter.
Table of Contents
- How to Clean an Oven in Easy Steps
- What is the Best Oven Cleaner?
- The Best Gloves for Oven Cleaning
- How to Clean an oven with Ammonia?
- How to Clean an oven without Chemicals
- Oven Cleaning FAQ’s
How to Clean an Oven in Easy Steps
Whether you want to know about the best way to clean an oven or how to clean an oven door or anything else about the cleaning of an oven, answers to your queries are mentioned below. Keep scrolling.
Cleaning an oven with Baking Soda, Water and Vinegar
- First, remove the oven racks and all other things such as pizza stones, temperature gauges, and anything removable. Place all these stuff separately so that you can clean them afterwards.
- Now, take ½ (80 or 90 grams) cup of baking soda and three tablespoons of plain water.
- Mix both these ingredients thoroughly in any container. Mix them until you see a spreadable paste.
- If required, you can add more water or soda. Keep in mind that you will spread this mixture later. So, it should not be too thin, nor too thick.
- When the paste is ready, spread it on the inner side of the oven. Don’t spread the mixture on the heating element!
- For this purpose, you can use a paintbrush. Spread properly in the oven and especially on the areas where grime and grease are present.
- You can use this soda and water mixture on the oven door as well if it is too dirty.
- Let the paste remain over the oven for up to 12 hours and close the oven’s door.
- After a few minutes, you will see a change in the colour of baking soda. It will turn brownish, and it is normal. This change of colour happens because the mixture is absorbing the dirt and grime from the oven’s surface.
- In the meanwhile, you can clean the oven racks and other stuff.
- To clear off the paste from the oven, you will need a damp cloth and spatula. After the 12 hours, you can wipe off the baking soda paste by using a damp cloth and plastic or silicone spatula. Moreover, be careful and never use a metal spatula for scrapping as it can affect the finishing of your oven.
- Now, take a ½ white vinegar and mix it with two cups of plain water.
- Pour the solution in a spray bottle and spray it on the oven. The remaining mixture of baking soda will start to foam. This will remove all the baking soda from the oven’s surface.
- Wipe off any residue remaining in the oven with a new and wet dish cloth. And soon, you will see a shiny interior of your oven.
- If you have used baking soda on any other accessory of the oven such as racks, clean them too with vinegar and water spray.
- Put the racks back in an oven and enjoy baking in a clean and tidy oven.
Cleaning with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is delicious, but you can also use it to clean your oven. You will need two lemons, water, and a scouring pad during the process.
- To begin with, cut both the lemons and squeeze the juices in any container such as a dish or bowl. After squeezing both lemons, put the lemon’s casing in the same dish.
- Now, fill the bowl or dish with plain water and put it inside the oven.
- Turn on the oven and bake it on 200 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 25 to 30 minutes.
- As the mixture will heat, you will see the vapours clinging to the greasy stains and grime.
- After thirty minutes, take the dish out and turn off the oven and let it cool down.
- When the oven is cooled down, take a scouring pad to remove the residue and grime (if any). You can also use the plastic spatula for this purpose.
- Keep wiping until the entire oven is clean. After cleaning it, dry the oven with a soft cloth or towel.
- And you’re done!
How to Clean a Self Cleaning Oven
Here is the process to clean a self-cleaning oven:
- First, remove all the racks and other things from the oven. Put these things in a sink or at any other place.
- Now, when your oven is empty, switch on the self-cleaning function.
- Usually, the self-cleaning process takes three hours. And your oven will smoke a lot during the process.
- After three hours or when the process is completed, turn off the oven and let it cool down.
- Then, take a soft damp cloth or sponge, and clean the debris from the oven. Wipe until you see a shiny interior of your oven.
What is the Best Oven Cleaner?
The Weiman oven and grill cleaner is a perfect household cleaner. The effectiveness of this de-greaser is excellent, and the unit is completely safe to use on oven doors, interior, broiler and drip pans, ceramic grills, drawers, and handles. This Weiman oven and grill cleaner also guards your appliances against corrosion, rust, deterioration, and germs. Hence it is a multi-purpose and efficient product.
According to the various user feedback, the Weiman’s oven cleaner is an excellent choice for those folks who are looking for a reliable de-greaser. However, according to our experts, to remove greasy stains, you will have to spray multiple time on the affected surface.
Lastly, it is one of the most powerful oven cleaners in the market that has a bearable and pleasant smell.
How to Clean an Oven with Oven Cleaner?
Oven cleaners will make the cleaning task quick and easier as compared to the natural cleaning methods. Below is the whole process for your review. Here’s how to clean an oven with oven cleaner:
First, remove all the accessories from the oven as well as oven racks.
Place old newspapers or paper towels on the floor beneath the oven. This is to save the floor.
Now, take a bottle of oven cleaner and spray it on the oven. Spray properly on all sides, door, corners, etc. Shut the door after spraying.
Now, carefully read the maker’s instructions (usually mentioned on the bottle) and let the spray sit. Generally, cleaners take about 30 to 35 minutes.
In the meanwhile, spray the cleaner on the racks and other oven accessories.
After 30 minutes, open the door of the oven and wipe thoroughly with a soft damp cloth. You can also use a sponge to remove residues and caked particles.
Clean the racks and other things with soapy water. After washing the racks, place them inside the oven, and the process is complete!
The Best Gloves for Oven Cleaning
ANZOEE is a trusted name in the industry. These reusable, silicone dishwashing gloves by Anzoee are versatile, and you can use them when cleaning your oven, bathroom, dishes, cars, floors, and even pets.
These Silicone dishwashing gloves by Anzoee feature a thick and soft brush that produces extra foam and also increases friction force.
Furthermore, these oven cleaning gloves are approved by FDA and BPA-free. So, you will be using a certified and safe product. The ergonomic design of gloves is attractive, and you will not have any problem is using them. The grip is firm, and they feel good in the hands.
Lastly, these silicone gloves for oven cleaning are resistant to heat up to 160 degrees and easy to clean.
How to Clean an oven with Ammonia?
Ammonia is an excellent cleaner and, if you use it with care, it is entirely safe to use for cleaning purposes. You can use it to clean ovens, mirrors and glass. Here is how to clean your oven with ammonia:
- First, heat your oven to 150 degrees F and shut it off.
- Now, take 1/2 cup of ammonia into a bowl and put it on the top shelf.
- Then take a pan of hot boiling water and place it in the second shelf.
- Shut the oven’s door and left it there for overnight.
- Afterwards, wipe the oven with a damp cloth. You will notice that all the grime and caked food residue is removed. Just wipe it off thoroughly, and you are good to go.
How to Clean an oven without Chemicals
Want to clean your oven without any cleaner or chemicals? The following method is the easiest and works well.
Remove oven racks
First, take out the oven racks and put in the soapy water. Wash the racks properly and dry them completely after washing. Some oven racks are safe to wash in a dishwasher, but we will advise you to check the manufacturer’s instructions in this regard. After washing and drying the racks, put them at the side.
Wipe the food residues
Now, remove all the food particles from your oven.
Use this mixture as the oven cleaner
Make a mixture by taking three parts of baking soda and one part of plain water.
Apply the mixture
Spread this mixture on the interior of your oven and around. You will have to use the extra mixture on the burnt-on spots. Don’t use the mixture on the heating element. Let the mixture sit for overnight.
Clean the Baking soda
Now, remove the baking soda mixture with a wet cloth. You can also use a scraper for this purpose.
Take a spray bottle and pour a part of vinegar and one part of water. Spray all over the oven and remove caked particles and remaining baking soda mixture.
Place the oven racks
Now, put the oven racks back to their place.
Your cleaning task is completed, and you can cook now.
Oven Cleaning FAQ’s
How to clean an oven door
A dirty oven door doesn’t look good, and you cannot monitor what is happening inside the oven. So, cleaning the oven door is equally important. Follow this method to clean the oven’s door.
- Take three or four tablespoons of baking soda (according to the condition of your oven’s door) and two tablespoons of plain water.
- Now, Open the oven’s door and apply the paste on the oven door.
- Let it there for twenty minutes and then wipe it off with a soft, wet cloth.
How to clean an electric oven
To clean an electric oven, you will need a baking soda and a Luke warm water.
Take one-half cup of baking soda and ½ cup of water. Remove the racks and wipe the entire surface of the oven from the bottom, side, and top. A soft-bristled brush is also suitable to wipe away the dirt and grime. Now, apply the paste and let it sit for two to three hours.
After the time, remove the paste with a wet cloth or scraper. When all the paste is removed, put the racks back in the oven and you are done.
How to clean an oven without oven cleaner?
Covered above and below as well.
How long does it take to self-clean an oven?
Mainly, it depends on the condition of your oven but generally, the self-cleaning of an oven takes about three hours.
How to Clean an Oven Naturally?
If you don’t want to use the self-cleaning feature of your oven due to any reason, move to universal and natural household items to clean your oven in a natural way. Here is the process to clean your oven naturally:
- First, put a pan of plain water inside the oven.
- Turn it on and heat it to 225 degrees F for up to twenty minutes.
- After twenty minutes, let it cool down.
- Now, add some soap to the water pan and scrub the grime and muck with a nylon sponge.
- Scrub properly until you see a clean and tidy surface of your oven.